GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF TWO TRAINING LEVELS:
L2B Foundation Workshop:
This two-day workshop will offer a broad overview of the theory and research behind Learning to BREATHE (L2B), a mindfulness-based intervention for adolescents and young adults. For the foundation workshop, participants will experience some of the activities and practices of L2B as if they were students in the L2B class. Since those who teach mindfulness must experience mindfulness themselves, the workshop includes periods of mindfulness practice for participants throughout both days. Some prior experience with mindfulness is helpful but is not a prerequisite for participation.
The goal of this workshop will be to address some basic questions:
- What is mindfulness and how does it fit within social and emotional learning (SEL)?
- What are the benefits of mindfulness practice for students?
- What is the research support for theL2B program in schools and other settings?
- What are the 6 themes of L2B lessons? They will be presented over both days, and practices from each theme will be demonstrated. For more information go to http://learning2breathe.org/
- Some time will be allotted for questions, for discussion of concrete ways to implement practices and programs in schools, and for identification of mechanisms of support.
L2B Intensive Training:
This two to three day workshop is designed to help you facilitate the growth of mindfulness in adolescents using the Learning to BREATHE (L2B) program. Demonstration, small-group practice and group feedback are done for each of the six themes of the program. Discussion about the role of the teacher and the pedagogical elements of mindfulness-based programs is part of the workshop. We will be engaged in a mix of demonstration, practice teaching and group discussion throughout both days. The workshop is intended to prepare participants to actually teach the program, so it relies more on practice than on presentation of theoretical and research background information. A short overview of the curriculum will be shared on day 1. All materials for the workshop will be provided (except the manual itself which can be purchased from New Harbinger or Amazon). If you have access to a L2B manual, you may wish to look through it in advance.
The goal of this workshop will be to:
- Provide participants with actual practice in teaching the entire 6 themes of the L2B program in small segments using a specially developed teacher training manual provided by the instructor.
- Utilize the small group process to receive and offer feedback from peers in the teaching process.
- Share experiences and process questions in the large group. Collectively identify questions about implementation and brainstorm effective ways to bring L2B to participants’ specific schools.
- Become aware of personal strengths and challenges in mindfulness teaching by means of the TMEOS (Teaching Mindfulness in Education Observation Scale, Broderick, et al, under review). Participants will assess their own teaching and utilize the scale to examine areas of improvement and those which need instructor support and/or clarification. The overall goal is to support teacher mindfulness and fidelity of program implementation.
Individual supervision in L2B is also available. Please contact me for more information about this option.